Taking action against prejudice > Activity 4.3
The Three Little Pigs
- Read The Three Little Pigs
- Ask students to role-play an alternative ending with the pigs using NO GO TELL! (as developed in Activity 4.2) to stop the wolf.
- Ask students if the wolf would still be considered "big and bad" if the conflict is resolved through appropriate action on the pigs' behalf. Discuss.
The Little Red Hen
- Read The Little Red Hen.
- Ask students to call out "NO" when an unfair incident occurs. Ask students to suggest what should happen instead.
- Modify the story to include the students' recommendations and continue doing so until the end of the story.
- Discuss with the class how changing the animals behaviour has resulted in a fair result for all.
- This activity encourages students to practise appropriate strategies for dealing with unfair situations.
- Any similar well-known stories which illustrate fair and unfair situations may be used as alternative texts for this activity. However, this activity works best with familiar stories.
- Students should be encouraged to see that most situations are the result of interactions and can be influenced by the actions of any of the people or characters involved.