Taking action against prejudice > Activity 4.5
Prejudice. No Way! poster
- Write "Prejudice. No way!" on the board and brainstorm all the words the students can think of associated with the topic.
- Discuss the words and group them into categories.
- Tell the students that you are going to construct a poster to communicate a message to the rest of the school about prejudice. Explain that first you will look at another poster to see what to do.
- Find a relevant poster to model the following elements. You may use the Harmony Day poster [JPG], a NAIDOC poster or similar poster of your choice.
- basic structure
- frame or border
- graphics or photographs.
Talk about the purpose of the poster and the audience.
- As a class, plan a poster based on the theme of anti-prejudice:
- decide on what message you want to convey with the poster
- decide on the shape (structure), background and information to be included (write, draft, edit and publish)
- select materials to be used and appropriate pictures (photographs, drawings, paintings etc.)
- consider the type of text used to be used - written, typed, font, size etc.
- arrange and organise images and text for clarity of information, visual impact, balance, interest
- add colour
- design border.
- Ask students to construct a class or individual poster based on the agreed plan. The poster may be created digitally or by hand.
- Display poster(s) around the school.
- This activity gives students an opportunity to review the work focussed on in previous lessons.